"*" indicates required fields
General Purpose Polyester Fiberglass Resin Kit
Fiberglass Resin Kit
Our General Purpose Fiberglass Resin Kit offers improved anti-sagging qualities, fast wet out capabilities and is an economical option for repairs and construction for both above and below the water line. This includes the MEKP catalyst.
*For Drum Quantities – please contact us via our Contact Us page.
$64.99 – $449.99
Fiberglass Polyester General Purpose Resin
FGCI’s General Purpose Fiberglass polyester resin is a promoted orthophthalic, unsaturated polyester resin, and is great for both above and below the waterline. Our General Purpose laminating resin is a standard within the marine industry for small to medium sized boat manufacturers as an all around workhorse. This resin provides exceptionally fast wet out and spray up capabilities, improved sag resistance, while being extremely economical for applications and its abilities. Our General Purpose Resin offers great flexural strength with composites providing for only moderate thickness needed.
From small repairs to full on lamination projects, this polyester resin can handle structural and hatch fabrication to in-mold applications with results you can trust!
With FGCI, you can rest assured that your batch will be within specs every time, with the same color, viscosity, strength and application characteristics as you would expect from a high quality product. After all, we haven’t been in business for over 60 years without ensuring our quality standards are the highest, and accompanied with the best customer service!
FGCI’s General Purpose Resin Offers:
- High AFFORDABILITY for above and below waterline!
- Fast wet out and spray up (if spraying, use ⅛” nozzle)!
- Improved sag resistance!
- Great Flexural Strength for material stability!
- Great Tensile Strength, close to competitor’s Isophthalic Resins!
General Purpose Polyester Resin Additional Info
- General Purpose Polyester Resin is a standard grade formulated product. This unsaturated polyester resin is designed to wet out the glass reinforcement rapidly without drainage. The rapid wetting will save time in laying up laminates.
- Avoid using this product in direct sunlight.
- The ideal temperature for use of this product is 77° F. Best results for this product can be obtained at temperatures between 70° F and 85° F, in a clean, dry, dust-free environment.
- It is not recommended to wet out fiberglass over 1/8” in thickness. Use of more than 1/8” may generate excessive heat. Allow the layer to tack up (but not fully cure) prior to pouring the next layer.
- This is an economical resin, designed for hand lay up of boats, panels and other industrial fabrication of demanding quality.
- If sanding is required to apply more fiberglass, use 36, 24, or 16 grit. Low grits will get you deeper scratches to make the new layer adhere better to the existing one. Be sure to clean the surface before applying another layer.
- To apply gelcoat, prep the surface with 80 grit sandpaper. To apply primer, prep the surface with 220 grit sandpaper. To apply paint, prep the surface with 320 grit sandpaper.
- If you have any additional questions or need a product for critical applications, please contact Customer Service at 1-888-849-0588.
General Purpose Polyester Resin Directions:
- Mix & Measure Buckets
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Measuring Cups
- Fiberglass Brushes
- Glass Roller
- Mixing Sticks/Power Mixer
- Sanding Aid
- Paint Style Roller (Phenolic Core or Solvent Resistant)
Choose the appropriate volume for your project. The type of fiberglass used will determine the amount of resin needed.
Make sure to agitate or stir the product thoroughly before use.
Mix 1 to 2.% MEKP, in resin solution thoroughly. Please refer to the Catalyst Concentration Chart for Quantities.
Thinner fiberglass can easily be wet through. To thoroughly wet out heavier materials, apply resin first to one side, then flip the glass over to wet out the other side. Use paint-style rollers to distribute resin quickly.
Roll each layer with a glass roller to remove air. The fiberglass will go completely transparent when it is adequately wet.
Add Sanding Aid (Product #123833 must purchase separately) to the final coat to allow a full cure and a tack-free surface. Refer to the Sanding Aid Chart for quantities.
Clean Up Procedure:
Cleaning General Purpose Polyester Resin: Use Acetone to clean brushes and rollers. A small bucket of solvent can be used to clean tools.
PLEASE NOTE: This information is provided in good faith and correct to the best of our knowledge. No warranty, guarantee, or representation is made as to the sufficiency of the information for the safe use of the product, nor to relieve the end user of any Federal, State, or Local regulatory responsibility.
Does this product contain wax?
There is no wax added to this resin.
Can you add pigment to this resin?
Yes, but only up to 3% max by weight.
How long do I have to wait before I can add another layer of fiberglass?
You will have up to 18 hours to apply additional layers without sanding. Once resin has cured completely, we recommend sanding prior to applying additional layers.